The ATV Polaris Sportsman Xplorer 500 electronic throttle control (ETC) disables the vehicle if ‘the re is a mechanical problem in the throttle mechanism. When the throttle is operating normally, throttle cable tension holds the ETC switch in the open position. If a mechanical failure occurs in the throttle mechanism and cable tension is lost, the switch contacts close. This grounds the CDl unit and disables the ignition sys tem. The ETC is an important safety device. Do not operate the ATV with the ETC disabled.
ATV Polaris Sportsman Xplorer 500 Electronic Throttle Control Switch Testing
- Use a screwdriver to remove the throttle control cover.
- Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL and apply the parking brake.
- Block the rear wheels so the vehicle will not roll in either direction.
- Start the engine and open the throttle lever slightly to increase engine RPM just above idle speed.
- Use a finger and hold the throttle cable (A, see image) stationary. then release the throttle lever (B).
- On 1996-1998 models, the engine rpm should be limited to the specified ECT limit of 1400 rpm. If the engine continues to run at a higher rpm. the switch is faulty and must be replaced. On 1999-on models, the engine should lose spark and stop. If the engine continues to run, the switch (C) is faulty and must be replaced.
- Install the throttle control cover.