The Kawasaki EN450 models starter circuit relay is a small cylindrical unit mounted in an upright position, next to the main starter relay. To check its operation, disconnect its wire connector plug and remove the relay from the motorcycle. Connect a 12V battery and ohmmeter across the relay terminals shown. With the battery connected, the meter should indicate 0 Ohms (continuity), and with the battery disconnected, high resistance (no continuity) should be indicated. (click image to enlarge)
To check the Kawasaki EN450 Starter Circuit Relay:
- Remove the rear light or left side panel.
- Disconnect the battery positive cable and the starter cable from the terminals on the starter relay. Don’t let the battery positive cable make contact with anything, as it would be a direct short to ground/earth.
- Connect the leads of an ohmmeter to the terminals of the starter relay.
- Turn the ignition switch to On and the engine stop switch to Run. Place the transmission in Neutral.
- Press the starter button - the relay should click and the ohmmeter should indicate 0 Ohms.
- If the meter does not read 0 Ohms or the relay does not click, replace it.